Thursday, November 1, 2012

Speak "Friend" And Enter...

Good afternoon everybody. The first day of National Novel Writing Month (AKA "NaNoWriMo") is upon us. Are you participating? I did a little prep work ahead of time so today I am ahead of schedule with around 2300 words. 

To be honest I wasn't sure until this morning if I would even participate this year. I just couldn't find my excitement like I usually do. Usually I am at my computer at one minute to midnight waiting for the clock to roll over to November 1 so I can start banging away at the keyboard. I usually relish and revel in being WAY ahead of the daily word count.

This time however, I felt pretty meh about the whole thing. I think it's because once I write the book I don't do anything with it. I don't do any editing and it never reaches a stage at which I could say it's finished and actually submit it anywhere. There are a multitude of reasons for that, all of which are cop-outs more or less :-)

-

In other news, I have several unfinished crochet projects in my bin which I really should get moving on. Do you see a pattern here? LoL: Unfinished books...unfinished crochet projects...hmmm...Yes.

I have a rather nice looking shrug that just needs to be stitched up, and the weather has been chilly enough for it lately. I created it from a Lion Brand pattern and it's a super easy shrug to make. If you can do a single crochet stitch you can make this pattern. I will post a picture when it's finished, along with a link to the pattern for those who are interested in undertaking one themselves.
-

I am SO excited about seeing The Hobbit on December 14th. I might even make an exception and go see a first screening at midnight. I particularly love the chant they do in some of the trailers. It's hauntingly ethereal and really beautiful. If it's on the soundtrack then I will probably buy the album. 

There are a lot of mixed feelings about the movie. The book itself is shorter than any one of the Lord of the Rings books, YET they are making THREE (YES THREE!!!!) separate movies for this one. To some folks, it seems like they are simply milking the franchise for all it's worth. Some folks say there are some characters in the movies who aren't in the book, and some very small and minor subplots that are being given way more attention than they merit in the film. 

I am on the fence and reserving judgment. I need to re-read the book to be honest. It's been almost ten years and I don't remember if I even finished it the first time I picked it up. Conveniently I just finished reading a book, and can start it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment