Thursday, May 7, 2015

Loaded Protein Shake

Good afternoon, readers!

So I've been playing around with breakfast ideas for two reasons.
1: It keeps me from getting bored eating the same thing every day
2: It keeps me from going to the coffee shop for muffins and coffee every day.

Today I decided to make a protein shake since I was getting on the treadmill immediately after getting up, and didn't want to spend time cooking/baking/eating before I could get moving.  Plus, I have been wanting to dust off my single-serving blender anyway.

I am keeping myself at/below 2000 calories per day on days when I exercise. Days I don't exercise I get 1800 or less. I'm being stricter about this due to having fallen into a false sense of security where I "thought I was doing well" but the scale kept sneaking upwards anyway.

Anyway, here is what I came up with this morning when throwing things into the blender. It's not an original recipe, but I'm sharing it anyway because it's delicious.

1/3 c peanut butter
1 c plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp honey
1 small/med banana
1/8 c milk (to give some liquidity to these dense ingredients)

mix all but milk in the blender to start with. scrape down the sides, add the milk and pulse until well blended.

Nutrition data:

Calories: 583
Fat: 29
Carbohydrates: 26
Fiber: 5
Protein: 30

This thing is loaded with protein and good carbohydrates for an immediate energy source for my workout. If I was not getting on the treadmill right away, or if you are on a lower daily calorie allotment, then you can cut the peanut butter back to 3 TBSP instead of 5 which would cut the overall calories by 190.

No comments:

Post a Comment